Join Our Team!
Obtain patient’s medical history and the reason for the visit. Provide chair-side doctor assistance by scribing 55% and assisting with office-based procedures; perform diagnostic tests as ordered by the ophthalmologist/optometrist and administer treatment as ordered by the doctor as in the Ophthalmic Assistant job description.
• Obtains and initiates all relevant and necessary clinical documentation (into EMR) of the patient’s chief complaint, history of present illness, personal medical history (ocular and general), family medical history (ocular and general), review of systems, current medications and allergies, all pertinent ocular findings accurately and completely, and any other clinical data as required by an insurance company or clinical trial.
• Performs testing to include visual acuity (including pinhole) measurement, color vision testing, lensometry, Shirmer’s (tear function) testing, pupil function testing, tonometry (tono-pen and applanation), automated visual field, autorefractor/glare test (BAT), evaluation of extra-ocular movement (EOM), confrontational visual field testing, fundus photography, corneal topography, Optos, pachymetry, Jackson-Cross refraction, angle assessment, Humphrey visual field testing and other patient services as requested by the treating MD/OD. Informs patients of the purpose of tests (but does not provide interpretation or diagnoses to patient).
• Act as a scribe to a physician by entering into EMR physician’s examination, diagnoses, treatment and/or treatment plan.
Minimum Education and/or Experience:
– High school diploma or general education degree (GED).
– One year experience in a healthcare setting, ophthalmology preferred, or successful completion of a medical assistant program that would qualify the graduate to become certified as a CMA, RMA, CCMA or NCMA.
– Strong communication, team member and interpersonal skills.
– Well-organized, with strong attention to detail.
– Knowledge of HIPAA and OSHA statutes/regulations, and policies/procedures.
– Knowledge of medical and ophthalmic terminology, diseases, symptoms, medications, and anatomy.
– Demonstrated computer literacy, proficient with practice’s EMR and EPM (NextGen experience/proficiency preferred).
– Strong knowledge of daily operations and patient flow
– Strong customer service and communication skill
Hours: This position generally requires the employee to work scheduled shifts that occur Monday through Friday or Tuesday through Saturday. Location: This position will work in both clinic locations (Laguna Hills and San Clemente).
Qualifications and Skills:
– High school diploma or equivalent required
– Current JCAHPO certification preferred
– AAS in Ophthalmic Medical Assisting or equivalent in work experience
– Prior experience in a fast paced medical office and in electronic health record preferred
– Superior customer service skills
– Effectively and empathetically communicate in both oral and written formats
– Fluency in Spanish a plus